Current Tracking

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Warner Springs

Day 7, Mile 109

Yes! Passed 100 miles! Wow and I earned every step. It is hot down here! Water stops are definitely something to pay attention to. If you pass one up your next water opportunity may be another 25 miles or so. Thank goodness for trail angels though. I have been packing enough water to get me through to the known water supplies but sometimes if your lucky you will come across a cache of water out in the middle of now where (that someone has hiked in) that makes it just a little more comfortable to get to the next creek. There was even a cache of soda at one point and was very welcome after hiking half the day in the blazing heat. The last couple days I have had to get up around 4am to beat the heat and then nap in the afternoon during the heat of the day and then get a few more miles in the evening. 
The views and terrain have been spectacular, and might I add not very flat. I am finding the desert very interesting with all the different cactus and flowers. As far as wildlife I have ran across a few rabbits, lizards, birds (even a turkey), a few gardener snakes, and some cows. Haven't seen any rattle snakes yet but heard some other people talking about seeing them. 
I have found the people on the trail very friendly. The last 4 days or so I have been hiking with a couple folks that started around the same time I did. John, trail name Carrot from Ohio and Seth from Cali have joined Chad and I. We usually meet up around breaks or camp. Eventually they may go their separate ways but for now they have been good company as we all go the same pace.
Well gonna hang out in Warner Springs for the rest of the day to nurse some sore muscles and enjoy the hospitality of the local community center that set up some amenities for the hikers. (Burgers, pop, small supply store, Internet, and a hose outside to wash up) Yeah!
Side note: If you zoom into my spot map close enough you can see the actual pct route and not just a straight line between points.

4 comments:

oltmand said...

Awesome girl! It's fun to watch your progress on the map. Slap Gator for me. Have fun and stay safe!

Raili said...

Congrats on the 100 mile mark! Love you!

Hannah said...

Happy Earth Day! Enjoy the next 100 miles :)

Hans said...

Hey you two! Glad you are having such a great trip so far, we miss you guys. It's just not the same without you on a burn. Be careful out there!

hugs and kisses! the wenatchee river group