Current Tracking

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Big Bear Lake

Day 18, Mile 266

Yesterday I did 24 miles. I think in the past 3 days I have gone from 9000ft elevation down to 3200ft and then back up to 9000ft. Tons of up and down that takes a pretty good toll on the feet and knees. So since Big Bear Lake seems like such a fine place to hang out I am thinking 2 days off here will be what is needed. I am a little worried about taking this much time off but hoping that by Friday morning I will be fresh again and ready to put on some more miles. Although I have had a few long days of 20+ miles here and there I have also had some hard uphill days where I only have done around 15 or less. I would like to get to the point where I can do 17 to 20 miles or more every day so I can stay on schedule. But it is all about timing too. Don't want to get to Kennedy Meadows too early either because that is the beginning of the Sierras and then you have lots of snow and high river crossings to contend with (don't worry mom). The longer you wait the easier it will be going through there but if you wait too long then finishing the trail in time becomes a concern.

So it seems I have gotten a trail name. The group of about 5 now some of whom I have started the trail with, have been now calling me "Chief" or "Chief Wenatchee". I think partly because I am the one that keeps trying to keep Chad and I on track so we don't take too long of breaks or don't end the day too soon without getting the miles (I like to call it motivation). And what sealed the deal is when they called me that in front of someone outside of the group named Scalpel, he said he thought it fit because he could see it in the eyes. hmmm I wonder if I should be offended. Oh well I guess I will go with it, it is all in fun. My fire crew back in Chelan would probably agree with that name anyway, they sometimes call me mom probably for the same reasons. 

Side note: One thing I would like to highlight on my blog is my fund raiser. It is for the American Cancer Society. Please don't feel obligated to donate but if you feel you can give a little then the link to my hiking fund raiser is on the right side of my blog page. There have been people close to me that have been effected by cancer and this is my way of trying to give back.      (Love you Mom)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, she does keep me in line and I love her for that.....I do give her a hard time every now and again!! :)

Anonymous said...

Great Trail Name--Love it! Get some rest sis. i will work on your new map and see if we can't get something better on your blog :)

Raili said...

Love the trail name, sis. Keep up the good work - you're doing great. Post some pictures if you get the chance!

Soda said...

You guys are doing great! Keep up the good work!

Soda