Current Tracking

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Etna

Day 102, Mile 606

The last 100 miles have be beautiful! I have been up on the ridges getting all the wonderful views of Mt Shasta, alpine lakes, and huge rock walls. I have to admit for the last couple weeks I felt like I was just trudging along down in the trees with only a few peaks of the hills here and there. But there is just something about being up high on the ridge tops that motivates me and keeps me going. I think I needed the lower sections in the trees though just so I can appreciate what I am seeing now. Sometimes I would just get in the mode where I put my head down watching the trail trying to make miles and not looking up enough to really take it all in. But you don't want to do that around the Castle Crags and the Russian Wilderness!

Gator and I have been putting on the miles the last few days. We wanted to get into Etna a little earlier so we could spend some time in town getting all our resupply stuff done and maybe even relax a couple hours. Which would be nice considering we did 72 miles in 3 days. Hope to start getting between 20 and 25 miles a day now (if the terrain is in our favor), so we can get done in time and maybe even have a few days off to recoup before going back to work.

3 comments:

Willow said...

Wow Stacia you are cruising! Even if I am around when you head through the Detroit area I don't think I'd be able to keep up with you. Though if I am around I would love to coordinate meeting up with you at Santiam pass or something...glad to hear you are doing well, keep it up!

Willow

Raili said...

So proud of you sis! I got your message the other day - probably can't make a meet up in Oregon but would love to try and rendezvous when you get up into Washington. I'll keep track of you and try to find some time that works. Love you!

carrot (937 245 0137) said...

have fun in oregon! tons of snow and mosquitoes when i went through. like, snow covering the trail for 25 miles straight sort of snow. and 100s of mosquitoes at a time, keeping up with me and still biting me while running. the snow was wonderful but the mosquitoes were certainly not. enjoy it!